Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Tuesday Team


Tonight is the first night of what I hope will be many for "The Tuesday Team." Often people have told me about how they would love to help with The Largest Table but are working, or otherwise committed, on Wednesdays. Last week I sent out an invite for coming in on Tuesday evening and cheffing up everything for Wednesday. The response has been great! Amy Rettig, Stephanie Coplan, Martha Asseff, Courtney Klamar, and Marilyn Potts are helping tonight; and many more said they would like to participate on a future Tuesday but just couldn't make it tonight. I sensed genuine enthusiasm from many possible Tuesday Team members about the idea.

I know there will be equal enthusiasm coming from those who are our regular volunteers on Wednesdays. As The Largest Table continues to grow, so does the demand for volunteers. This extra help will make a big difference to those who come in early on Wednesday mornings. In addition to creating "The Tuesday Team," we would also like to create two different teams for Wednesdays: one for set up and serving and the other for clean-up. I am confident that with some creativity and extra team work we can face the challenges of growth!

Do you have other ideas for expanding our ability to staff The Largest Table and or to serve the city?

1 comment:

  1. As a participant in the "Tuesday Team" I can tell you that it was quite the experience. The first thing that I saw were the large bags of carrots. I'm not fond of cutting up carrots - they have to be scrubbed then peeled then chopped. Carrots are not a soft vegetable! They involve a serious amount of work!!

    As I looked at those carrots I began to wonder about the people that share at "The Largest Table". What if someone that comes to us hasn't seen a bag of carrots except for the peelings put in an empty carrot bag and dumped in the garbage. That person might feel blessed to be handling all those new carrots.

    So I decided to pray. One of my favorite meditative prayers is from the "Holden Evening Prayer Service". Funny, I don't remember the particular song from that service, but I do remember a verse that I really liked - "God of Mercy, Hold us in Love." Some may know that the "Holden Evening Prayer Service" is all set to music, and I could hear the tune that accompanies those words - "God of Mercy, Hold us in Love". Those carrots were prepared in no time flat!

    I hope that many will be a part of the "Tuesday Team" .... and the early morning "Wednesday Team" and the afternoon "Wednesday Team" and the "Making the Table Bigger Team" and the "Taking the Table to the Streets Team"..... You know what I mean! God of Mercy, Hold us in Love!

    ReplyDelete