Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ephesians 4:28

The challenge of the day started with 6 yards of compost mulch. Yesterday, this large amount of compost leaf mulch was dumped on the sidewalk in front of our glass doors, and in front of (as in blocking) the ramp that leads to our essential elevator door!

The mulch was delivered so that it can be tilled into the ground in preparation for this coming Sunday when the children of the church will be planting a garden to benefit The Largest Table. Weeks ago they planted many plants from seed, which the Garretts have been kind enough to tend over the past weeks, and now all of these plants are ready to go into the ground. Jim Beaver has graciously volunteered to prepare the ground. However, our garden experts determined that in order for anything to grow we would need to not only till the ground, but also add lots of good stuff to the earth. That is how we got the mulch!

We have so much going on at the church that this big pile of mulch has provided numerous challenges today. I won't go into all of the details, but I knew we needed at least a path from the drive to the elevator door by the time anyone would arrive tomorrow.

Just as I was contemplating how we might get this done, a guest of The Largest Table showed up looking for some extra work so that he could pay for an $8 prescription. I rarely engage in this type of exchange, but my eyes lit up at the prospect of getting some immediate assistance. I was amazed that his eyes lit up, too, when I showed him the daunting pile of mulch.

Todd told me, "This is great! I love landscaping! And, this is good work for me. Ephesians 4:28,'He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands' I spent enough time doing things that weren't useful. This is just the kind of work that I like to do!" I gave him a shovel and he got to work.

We were both thrilled. Todd has his prescription. We have a pathway. And, Todd told me he would check back in the morning to see if he can finish off the job - not for money, but simply because he likes doing something useful with his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment