Sunday, May 3, 2009

Early Morning Prayers


On Sunday mornings I typically arise about 4 a.m. to engage in a routine that has come to serve me well as I prepare for preaching. This morning I thought I would sleep a little longer because today I am not the one who will be leading worship. Yet sure enough, I woke up as I typically do on Sundays - with my heart and mind full of what the day will bring. It sounded like birds and it felt like a cool Spring breeze, but I believe it was the Spirit rousing me to life well before my alarm was set to go off.


Today is Youth Sunday at St. John's. The three youth in our confirmation class have prepared every aspect of this morning's service. Our worship experience will be based on Daniel 3 and the story of Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego who had the strength and courage to stand up to the king when asked to do something that conflicted with their beliefs. Alex, Alexis, and Brandon have spent a good deal of time with this scripture and they each have significant things to share about it. I am praying this morning that God gives them the same strength and courage we see in Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego - not only for this morning, but throughout their lifetimes.


Several years ago, when I was preparing for an important presentation, I remember sharing with a group of women from our church my hopes for the presentation, for my leadership that day, and for the group of people who would be gathered together. I certainly felt supported by these women as I shared with them, but surprisingly I felt their presence and support most powerfully while I was in the midst of the presentation itself! Afterward, each of them came and asked me how it had gone, and each of them told me that they had been praying for me.


Their prayers were palpable. I hadn't known they would be praying for me, but I could feel their prayers. I could feel God's Spirit within me. May it be so this morning for Alex, Alexis, and Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment