Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sit Down and Shut Up!


As this week began I was concerned that there were so many things scheduled that I wouldn't have much time to think or reflect or prepare for any of them, but then a scratchy throat quickly gave way to strep and my concerns immediately changed. Instead of figuring out how to fit it all in, I kept calling one person after another canceling my commitments. I found myself with nowhere to go and plenty of time to think and reflect. My physician has told me that strep has "colonized" in me, meaning that whenever my immune system is down strep is the first thing to appear. With no voice, I am quickly put in my place. I have decided it is some divine way to tell me to "sit down and shut up."

I am incredibly grateful to everyone who helped me this week, picking up pieces I could not handle. I am grateful, too, for the perennial lesson I need to be reminded of: none of us, for the tasks we do, are indispensable. All of us, for the people we are, are irreplaceable. We all need time to be still and quiet if only to remember these truths. I know I do. Perhaps if I took more time to be still and quiet on a daily basis, nature would not need to force it upon me.

Tonight is our first TAIZE service of the season (first Thursdays from 6:00 - 6:30 p.m.). There are few ways I like to be still and quiet more than when I am surrounded by candlelight and beautiful music in our sanctuary. Even though I am feeling better, I am still planning to sit still and be quiet tonight. I hope you will join me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment