Monday, October 19, 2009

Loving One Another into Wholeness

A couple of people had suggested we consider having an Animal Blessing Service. I had heard about these services but had never attended one nor could I really imagine what to expect, but I was glad to try to create a service that would honor and bless our animal companions. Nearly 100 people, with their animal companions, came to the Animal Blessing held in Schiller Park on Saturday, October 17th. Some people came with their cats in crates or their dogs on leashes. Others brought photos from home, or some hair from the tail of a horse to receive a blessing. One by one, I had the privilege of blessing these creatures and I left that evening feeling as though I was the one who received the blessing. Never before have I had such intimate contact with so many animals. Never before had I experienced the wide array of personalities in animals! I heard stories of animals who had been abused or abandoned and then welcomed into a home. I heard stories of companionship. I heard stories of animals who were struggling with cancer, bone decay, or diabetes. I witnessed people who are loving their animal companions into wholeness and animals who are loving their human companions into wholeness. A blessing indeed!

I am thankful to everyone who helped create such a wonderful experience. Brenda Burris and Susan Olson passed out lots of flyers in German Village. Karen Corcoran designed a poster we used for publicity. The choir, as always, provided leadership through song. Laura Kuntz accompanied the choir on All Things Bright and Beautiful with her guitar, and lots of people played bells to All Creatures of Our God and King. Earl Wurdlow provided us with a sound system. Ralph Quellhorst, Walt Adams, Mike and Diana Rangel helped with the set up, greeting, and refreshments. Drew Klamar made tasty homemade dog and cats treats in the shape of crosses for the animals. Sara Cosgill, Walt Adams, Meredith Reece, and Earl Wurdlow all served as readers. Bonnie Vallette created the wonderful program and certificates. Diana Rangel even arrived with complimentary “poop kits” for those who might have forgotten to bring along supplies!

“All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all”

No comments:

Post a Comment