Friday, May 14, 2010

When you don't know what to say ....


It is not often when I am at a loss for words.


However, I was at a loss for words this past Monday night after sharing with the Consistory my resignation as pastor of St. John's. What does one say at a time that is mixed with so many different emotions? As I scanned the room and looked into the eyes of so many different people I will miss, words escaped me.


I think that is why I haven't been blogging much these past few months - because I have been living with the possibility of a new position and all that entails, as well as the reality of the loss I will feel when I leave. Not only has it been a mix of feelings, but it has felt somewhat ingenuous to be blogging about my perceptions of ministry at St. John's without being forthright about where I am in regard to everything. I hope now that the news is out I can use this blog as a vehicle for sharing some of the things for which I am truly grateful @ 3rd & Mound.


Our Consistory meeting on Monday evening ended the way it always does. Our president invited us to stand, hold hands, and pray The Lord's Prayer. I thought about the many times I had prayed that very same prayer. Some times hastily, some times - like Monday - with a lump in my throat. When we don't know what to say, Jesus gives us the words ... "Our Father, who art in heaven ... "

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    The transitions we will all face in saying goodbye to you and trying to fill the void you will leave at St. John's will not be easy. I know, though, that in your time with us, our congregation has learned how to face difficult situations and handle them with love, acceptance and great faith. That is your legacy. God bless you! Mary

    ReplyDelete