Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Samson




Today I am referring to my dog, not the Biblical character. Samson has been my companion for nearly thirteen years; however, when Dale and I were married seven years ago -Dale won Samson's heart as quickly as he won mine. When Dale is here, he tends to Samson's every need - which has been growing steadily over the past couple of years. As Samson has joined the senior ranks, his age is showing. His hearing is all but gone. His eyesight is obviously strained. His assortment of meds have become an important daily ritual. He barks more and more .. we wonder if it is because he can't hear himself!



When I have a day at home, it rarely passes without my taking a quick "refresher" nap. It used to be that Samson could anticipate my napping; he would race in front of me, and leap up on our bed to join me. Sometimes, if he wasn't paying attention, I would say, "Samson, come on! It's our favorite time of the day!" It has been nearly a year since he has been able to leap up on our bed, and so his interest in our "favorite time of the day" seems to have been waning.





This past weekend our home was unusually quiet; it was just Samson and me. I found myself paying more attention to his barking, and to the needs that were behind it. For several days in a row Samson started barking each time I laid down. This was after our walk. And after getting a treat, or two. Tired and ready to sleep, I was frustrated. We got up to go out again. There was more barking. I gave him yet another treat. There was more barking. Finally, it dawned on me: Samson wanted up on the bed! With a gentle scoop, I placed Samson on the end of the bed and he was perfectly content. The gentle scoop has become our new nighttime ritual.





I keep thinking about how often we must pacify those around us with "treats" because we fail to understand someones real need and desire. As humans, we have the advantage of speech but we often resort to our own forms of barking - irritability, unnecessary comments, withdrawal. Samson has inspired me to try to listen more closely to those who seem to be barking, and to try to articulate my needs more clearly to those I love.


















1 comment: