Saturday, July 4, 2009

Why Bother? Part Two



Yesterday I blogged about why I "bother" to go to the General Synod, and likened it to why I bother to the read the news, or enter into dialogue about issues that have no apparent resolution. There is another reason I "bother" to go; and it is the same reason I "bother" with worship. Worship - long before I was a pastor - was a central and essential part of my life.

At its best, worship reminds me of my highest aspirations and connects me to God as well as to the larger community. When I am struggling, I realize there are others who are struggling also. When I am too proud or too focused on myself, worship pulls me out of my self-centeredness and focuses me on a larger picture.

At Synod, we had some inspiring worship experiences with marvelous preaching, and wonderful singing. I only knew a handful of people but I felt connected through our common bond in Christ. Today I am looking forward to being in my home congregation where I know and am known by nearly everyone. It's not a bother; it's a blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment