Saturday, June 27, 2009

Do Not Lose Hope!

Two great men were honored at Synod today; they are both men who have continually helped me move forward in hope.


The first man honored was Ralph Quellhorst, our current Consistory president, who is retiring from his work with the Pension Board. At a surprise reception for him, one by one, different people from all over the country came forward to share a memory of Ralph. I noted how a recurring theme was mentoring and encouragement. I wonder just how many people have been nurtured in their call from Ralph; I realized I am just one among many! What a gift he has brought not only to these individual lives, but to the denomination and the greater Church through his constant encouragement.

Tonight the Synod also celebrated the work of our General Minister and President for the past ten years, John Thomas. John has been leading the UCC for just about as long as I have been ordained. I have always been impressed with John's pastoral, theological, intelligent, and prophetic leadership. Tonight his address to those gathered moved me a great deal. Every time I am with him I sense his authenticity, and tonight was no exception. I appreciated the way he was able to talk about his honest assessment of the past ten years - the disappointments as well as those things we can celebrate. As one person said, "He is able to tell us everything that is wrong and we are still inspired!"


The refrain tonight was, "Do not lose hope; let your light shine; treasure your call in Christ Jesus!" These men have been people who have helped me do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment